by Christa Maas
Verbs followed by -ing
- enjoy (desfrutar, curtir) - I enjoy eating ice-cream.
- avoid (evitar) - He avoids staying up at night.
- imagine (imaginar) - I can´t imagine living in Moscow.
- consider (considerar) -Would you consider doing this for me?
- finish (terminar) -I have to finish wrting this e-mail today.
- miss (sentir falta de) - He misses having lunch at midday.
- hate (odeiar) - I hate getting up early.
- like (gostar) - They like visiting their children.
- pretend (fingir) - Some children pretend being adults.
Verbs followed by to -infinitve
- want (querer) - I wanted to call you yesterday, but I forgot.
- seem (parecer) -You seem to be tired today.
- offer (oferecer) - I offered to help him with his homework
- decide (decidir) - Welson decided to stop smoking.
- hope (desejar) - I hope to have some time this weekend.
- expect (esperar) - They expect to be home early tonight
- afford (poder bancar, custear) - I can´t afford to buy another pair of shoes.
- promise (prometer) - He promised to call his mother today.
- intend (pretender) - I intend to practise my English today.