Relative Pronouns- Pronomes relativos
by Christa Maas
by Christa Maas
Who para pessoas
=the woman who lives here (a mulher que mora aqui)
Which ou that para animais/coisas e também em frases completas
=the car which I bought (o carro que comprei)
Whose para indicar posse (para pessoas e coisas)
=the girl whose sister works here (a menina cuja irmã trabalha aqui)
= the man to whom I spoke (o homem com quem falei)
When (quando) em vez de in/on which
= the day on which I met him= The day when I met him (o dia em que o conheci)
Where (onde) em vez de in/at which
= the place at which we met = the place where we met (o lugar onde encontramos)
Why (porque) em vez de for which
= the reason for which we met him= the reason why we met him (a razão pela qual nós o conhecemos)
|Encurtando cláusulas relativas:|
Podemos substituir o pronome relativo who, which, that (quando é sujeito) por um verbo no particípio (verb + ing) para encurtar a frase e assim ela fica mais fácil de entender:
I told you about the woman who lives here. – I told you about the woman living here.
Do you see the cat which is lying on the sofa? – Do you see the cat lying on the sofa?
a) Choose the correct relative pronoun (who, which (or that), whose).
- This is the bank ________ was robbed yesterday.
- A boy________ sister is in my class was in the bank at that time.
- The man ________ robbed the bank had two bags.
- He wore a mask________ made him look scary.
- He came with a friend ________waited outside in the car.
- The cashier________ gave him the money was very pretty.
- The bag________ they brought for the money was blue.
- The people________ were in the bank were very frightened.
- A man ________mobile was ringing did not know what to do.
- A woman ________daughter was crying tried to calm her.
- The car________ the bank robbers escaped in was red..
- The robber________ mask didn't drive.
- The man ________drove the car was very nervous.
- He didn't wait at the traffic lights ________were red.
- A police man ________ car was parked across the street arrested them.
Respostas: 1.which, that 2 whose 3 who 4 which, that 5 who 6 who 7 which, that 8 who 9 whose 10 whose 11 which, that 12 whose 13 who 14 which, that 15 who
b) Choose the correct relative adverb ( where, when, why...).
- This is the restaurant ________Mary met James.
- January and February are the months ________most people go on holiday in Brazil.
- 3. Do you know the reason ________so many people in Brazil want to learn English?
- This is the church ________Sue and Peter got married.
- Winnipeg the town ________I was born.
- 6. Rio de Janeiro is the city __________ most tourists want to go.
- The tropical climate is the reason________ so many people like to go to the beach.
- A supermarket is a place ________you can buy groceries..
- The morning________ I left for Bahia was very busy.
- A football game was the reason ________I couldn't sleep last night.