Uso das preposições “to” e “for”
by Christa Maas
by Christa Maas
Realmente é muito difícil diferenciar entre as preposições “to” e “for” quando o significado em português corresponde à preposição “para” ou às vezes “a”. Existem algumas regras que ajudam, embora a diferença às vezes não seja muito clara.
1) Para expressar direção e movimento:
- I am going to the cinema tonight.
- The product was applied to the plant.
- Please, give it back to me.
2) Usado para expressar o limite ou extremidade de algo:
- The prices went up to US$ 200 per hectare.
- The child reached up to the top of the cabinet.
- Cut the wire up to 15 mm from the junction.
3) Usado para expressar relacionamento:
-You are very important to me.
-The solution to the problem is obvious.
-I report to the general manager every day.
4) Usado para indicar um período de tempo:
- I work from eight to six, Monday to Friday.
-We have a meeting at ten to eleven (10:50).
- I will be on vacation from the first of July to the twentieth.
1) Para indicar o uso de algo ( indicação, benefício e substituição):
- This fungicide can be used for Corn crops.
- The office is used for internal meetings.
- I bought this present for you yesterday.
- You can´t replace the green label for the red one.
2) Para expressar “por causa de”:
- You have done well in your English test. I am so happy for you.
- How long did you study for the test?
- When my boss left I was very sorry for the loss.
- For this reason, I left my job.
3) Para indicar tempo e duração:
- He has been working there for years.
- I took English classes for about 5 years.
- I have done enough for today.
1) I bought a present _____ him. I gave it ____ him this morning.
2) These Fungicides are used ____crops. They are applied ___ the plants.
3) I gave the presentation ____ my staff. It was very useful____ them.
4) I wrote a letter ___ my friend. I wrote a letter ____ my friend because he has broken his arm.
5) Mary is getting married ____ Peter. They are coming over ____ lunch today.
6) I will meet you ____ dinner tonight, but I am sorry, I have to go ____ work now.
7) I am looking ____ a job, so please refer me ____ him!
8) She was invited ___ a party. The party was ___for Paul.
9) They raised my salary ___ R$ 6000 and wrote me a check ____ a bonus of R$ 1000.
10) I have been admitted ____ St. James hospital. They gave me pills ____ my pain.
Answers: 1) for, to 2) for, to 3) to, for 4) to, for 5) to, for 6) for, to 7) for, to 8) to, for 9) to, for 10) to, for